1984 looks like this - David Dunnico

David Dunnico is my kind of guy, a lovely articulate fellow with a fantastic sense of humour and he takes photos.  He currently has a show at the Salford Museum & Art Gallery.

The Dunster (my pet name for him) has a collection of images displayed highlighting the use of CCTV in modern day society.  Here in Britain there is 1 (known) camera for every 14 people, and certainly in the city areas it is highly unlikely you're not being filmed at any time.  The Dunmeister Generals (I imagine this is what David Brent from the Office would call him) images of cameras are taken from street level and give the cameras an imposing assertive appearance often resembling an alien from the HG Wells classic.

And you can't really not observe such antics without mentioning 1984 can you?  The Orwellian statement goes hand in hand with Dunnies (this is what I would call him if he was an Australian fecalpheliac) work and he has a whole host of 1984 media on show, including a massive head (which to be honest with you I thought he had made a big paper mache head of himself for some unexplained reason!) depicting Big Brother from a 1984 play.

Kerry said that it was her favourite photo exhibition that we had been to, and having recently seen Ballen, Karsh at the NPG and the Times Photographers at the Saatchi, this is quite a compliment.

On the way out I thought I'd take a sneaky photo of the exhibition from the outer door, part rebellious and part ironic.  As I was doing so an old lady appeared on the other side of the door.  Being the gentlemen I am I opened the door for her, "Are you taking photos young man?", she quizzed, "You do know photography is not allowed don't you?  Have you seen the signs?  You can read can't you?".  For a moment I felt shamed but I smiled at her and she kind of smiled back, she didn't call the police or beat me so everything worked out well.

The Double D (his obvious gangster rap name) exhibition can be seen in the Langworthy Gallery at Salford Museum and Art Gallery up until Sunday 1st July.






Comments

Popular Posts