Shirley Baker

I visited Salford Gallery over the weekend to have a gander at the Shirley Baker retrospective.  Absolutely lovely stuff!  I think street photography of folk getting up to stuff is my favourite of all photographic subjects and Shirley does it wonderfully.  Her images reminded me of Bill Brandts work but being a pedigree northerner her images had more a personal appeal to me.

As I scanned the images it made me think of the things we used to get up to as kids, we had a lot more freedom then I think.  Memories of delving down grids, climbing the highest trees, jumping off school roofs, wandering down endless tunnels, building dams and playing on the tip, just some of the activities.

It's a wonderful display of photographic work, a must see.

"Girls swinging on a lamppost"

"Girls skipping"

"Boy passing Graffiti"

Comments

Popular Posts